Collection of articles, documents and research on data privacy and cyber-security that caught my eye.
- We need a personal digital advocate – Princeton University professor of computer science Mark Braverman on digital advertising ecosystem and what needs to be changed
- Privacy of Streaming Apps and Devices: Watching TV That Watches Us – report on the privacy protections in the top 10 streaming apps, as well as the top five streaming devices.
- Pushing Back Against Privacy Infringement On The Web – these are steps The New York Times took to protect users’ data, and how you can too.
- Meaningful Choice: A History of Consent and Alternatives to the Consent Myth – this article explores the twin history of two diverging bodies of law as they apply to the privacy realm, then introduces the concept of legitimate interest balancing as an alternative to consent.
- Vytal – tool that shows you what traces your browser leaves behind while surfing the web.
- IAB Europe Guide to Contextual Advertising – recently published guide offers a definitive round-up of what contextual advertising is, and the opportunities it provides in Europe, in a post-third party cookie world.
- What can we learn from the Garante’s recent 2.5M euro fine? – takeaways from Italy’s data protection authority’s €2.5 million fine against food delivery company Deliveroo for inappropriately processing driver’s personal data.
- Would anyone in their right mind reopen the GDPR? The IAF’s answer is yes. – the Information Accountability Foundation believes the EU General Data Protection Regulation should be amended to explicitly include knowledge creation and scientific research as legal bases to process personal data, providing a foundation for the responsible use of artificial intelligence.
- A digital world without dark patterns: ‘That’s not a huge ask, is it?’ – an overview of manipulative patterns on the web what can or should be done about it.